Velero is an open source tool to safely backup and restore, perform disaster recovery, and migrate Kubernetes cluster resources and persistent volumes.
Velero (formerly Heptio Ark) gives you tools to back up and restore your Kubernetes cluster resources and persistent volumes. You can run Velero with a public cloud platform or on-premises. Velero lets you:
- Take backups of your cluster and restore in case of loss.
- Migrate cluster resources to other clusters.
- Replicate your production cluster to development and testing clusters.
Velero consists of:
- A server that runs on your cluster
- A command-line client that runs locally
Back up Clusters
Backup your Kubernetes resources and volumes for an entire cluster, or part of a cluster by using namespaces or label selectors.
Set schedules to automatically kickoff backups at recurring intervals.
Configure pre and post-backup hooks to perform custom operations before and after Velero backups.
- Basic Install
Velero uses plugins to integrate with a variety of storage systems and Kubernetes platforms to support backup, restore and snapshot operations.
- Kubecon NA 2019 – How to Backup and Restore Your Kubernetes Cluster – Annette Clewett & Dylan Murray, Red Hat:
Kubernetes Back Up, Restore and Migration with Velero – A NewStack interview, with guests: Carlisia Campos, Tom Spoonemore, and Efri Nattel-Shayo: